Saturday, June 14, 2008

If bad luck is luck, I have been super lucky lately.

After the last few races I have been thinking about the idea of "luck". I figure, is it really just bad luck that I have had to make my bike fall apart in Mazatlan, Missing the lead pack in a local race and just not overall been happy with a race performance in quite some time? I don't think that you can have all that happen plus some, and beleive that it is just bad luck. After a while you realize that the phrase "bad luck" is just a scapegoat for poor performance. A roman Philosopher once said that "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." I have been fortunate enough to have theses amazing opportunities such as travelling to Mexico and training in Arizona, but has the preparation been enough? The true question, "What is preparation??" Is it what you eat for breakfast the morning of a race? Is it your level of excitement when you enter a race, or is it just the state of mind that you are in? It could be as easy as you knowing that all is good before you take that first stroke in the water. Your bike is race ready,or your body is ready for anything that can be thrown your way. What I have really noticed lately, are you mentally ready to race? I have realized that all of my little peices of bad fortune may just be me not being fully prepared. Maybe all I needed was a little more TLC (Tender Love and Care) with Crush (my bike) the night before a race, or maybe even the week leading up. Maybe a little more work on taking of my wetsuit after practice or learning a little more about nutrition. I was asked the other day what I do as a job. My response was, "Well I am training to be a triathlete,"(followed by some cheesy pick up line, after all she was cute). That lead me to think if this is my job then I need to start doing my homework. Homework being the things that you do between the workouts to make you that much better then the rest.

For now I go back to sleep and try to fight of whatever it is my body is fighting. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


Scotty

No comments: